Thursday, May 19, 2011

blog #6

In the essay I know the truth so dont bother me with the facts" by jeffrey kluger . He stated said by nisbet repeated exposure to rebuttals from variety of sources , if presented in an increase, the accurancy of beliefs overtime.Even when people do take the time to learn the facts,however,the effort often does no good.Garret cites a body of studies showing that when subjects are presented with data that contradicts their beliefs,they often paradoxically-respond by leaving to their biases more tightly.Some or that may be simple ego-none of us like being told were wrong.But some investigators are looking deeper conducting studies of the brain to see how the prefrontal cortex the seat of the reason and theamygdala, the seat of fear and other primal emotions,light up or power down in such situations.What the author was saying is that people live up to what they grew up hearing,learning,knowing so even if the truth was posted on a platform in front of them with all its proof they still wouldnt take heed to the truth because people do not want to live outside of their comfert zone because of fear.No matter what the scans and other students reveal of course its up to us to find a place in a world of facts and make our decisions based on that information-at least if we hope to get anything accomplished.we may not always agree on what those facts.mean,but at a minimum we need to agree that they mean more than fantasy.We need to explore our horizons,up our mind set expecting what is relivant, true in order for us to grow and learn at least.If we give truth a chance more could be accomplished even if we may not agree to disgrace all aspects at least moving forwerd we will be more open to except truth.I remember when i was younger i was about 6years old,my illusion was the tooth fairy.I believed that when my tooth would fall out  so the tooth fairy could take my tooth and payed me for it.But what made me not believe in the tooth fairy more,was my cousin she told me the tooth fairy was fantasy that my parents were the tooth fairy taking my tooth and putting money under my pillow so that night I pretended to be sleeping and I saw my mom come into my room take the tooth out from under my pillow and put the money it was then i saw what i believed to be true was a fantasy so i no longer believed in tooth fairy.So like the people in the allegory of the cave who believed in shadows of one  how could they see anything if they were never allowed to move their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment